Lake Fred

Lake Fred is an actual lake located in the flat pinelands of southern New Jersey. It is also one of my knicknames acquired while I was at college. There is (or was) a Lake Fred Folk Festival in the springtime.

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Bob Harkins

This is the Bob Harkins hibiscus cultivar. It produces a nice large orange red bloom on a vigorous bush. It grows readily from cuttings. I planted one in the ground last year and it quickly grew to a good size in one year producing many blooms. It seemed to enjoy being in the ground as opposed to being in a pot. I was looking forward to next summer when it would truly be a full size bush, however, Katrina had other plans. Floodwater killed my Bob Harkins in the ground. All the other hibiscus along that side of my driveway survived. I would assume that Bob Harkins does not tolerate wet roots over an extended period of time. Luckily, I had at least two other Bob Harkins bushes in pots that survived. This photo is from the smaller potted plant taken in April 2005.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home